Our ministries here at MRMC fall under five areas of emphasis which were determined by our the Methodist Church of Southern Africa Mission Congress of 2004 where God gave the vision of “A Christ healed Africa for the healing of nations.”
We have been challenged to share more deeply God’s passion for healing and transformation. We recognise the vital importance of the local church and rejoice in the many Circuits and Societies where life-giving mission is taking place. In trust and obedience we commit ourselves anew to the five areas of mission in our time :
- A deepened SPIRITUALITY as individuals and a Christian community,
- JUSTICE AND SERVICE in church and society,
- EVANGELISM AND CHURCH GROWTH which build up the people of God,
- HUMAN & ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT AND DEVELOPMENT which give dignity and new purpose to those who have been deprived.
- EDUCATION AND TRANSFORMATION – The Methodist Church is known for its strong beliefs and convictions pertaining to issues of education It is our heritage and entrenched belief that education is an indispensable tool for building a better society.
We live out these focal points in a practical way through the following ministries in our church:
- Prayer Ministry – involves different areas of prayer such as our monthly prayer vigils (some of which are guided). You may submit your prayers online or pray for others here (Prayer Page).
- Choir – Serve at the 7:30 and 11.30 service. If you love the Lord and can sing in tune, you’re welcome to join.
- Arts and Seasonal Church Décor are involved in decorating the church according to the particular worship season that we are in.
- Worship Teams – Serve at the 09:00 and 18:00 services. A number of musicians and vocalists from high school to over 60 years of age are involved in making music and praising God in this way.
- Data Projection – All our services are enhanced by the creativity and commitment of a team who create amazing graphic slideshows.
- Sound System Operation – These team members help to set up the sound equipment, listen carefully and mix sound for the worship teams and preachers.
- Housebound Communion Stewards – On communion Sundays, this team take out consecrated communion to those members who are too frail to join us at church, reminding them that they are not forgotten and are still an integral part of our community.
JUSTICE AND SERVICE
- Pastoral Care Team – This team once a quarter to pray for and discuss the needs of those in the congregation who are visited in their homes on a regular basis. If people are unable to visit and unable to attend meetings, it is still possible to be involved in the pastoral ministry of the church through making phone calls to those in need of cheer and care.
- Squares of Love – This group gathers to create beautiful quilts, which are donated to those in need. Members of this group do not need to now how to sew! Plenty of work exists in cutting and patching.
- Funeral Tea Service – This team of dedicated ladies provide a vital service to families with the serving of tea at funeral services.
- Hospitality Team – Each Sunday at the 7:30am, 9am, and 6pm services, a team of people greet worshipers at the door with the welcome of Christ and this church. The team is broken up into smaller teams that work on a roster system.
- Sunday Evening Meal Ministry – Virtually every Sunday at 5:00pm, MRMC’s doors open to the community, for a free fellowship meal that is prepared by teams from the church which cook on a roster system.
- Kairos Prison Ministry – MRMC supports Kairos in many ways like by baking cookies for Kairos weekends, sending team members into the prisons to minister to inmates and witnessing the powerful work of God in the lives of prison residents and community members.
EVANGELISM AND CHURCH GROWTH
- The Women’s Manyano, Young Women’s Manyano & the Young Men’s Guild are a very active and vital part of the life of MRMC
- Small Group Ministries are an integral part of life at MRMC and love to welcome new members. Various groups meet either at the church or at a leader’s home at various times during the week. Please contact the office for more information if you wish to join.
HUMAN & ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
- Wider Field – Our church tithes a minimum of 10 % of all our income towards the ministries outside of our church. Proposals are submitted to a committee who meet and discuss the merits thereof.
- Finance – our finance team keeps an eye on the financial side of MRMC. Finances are faithfully reported back to our leadership and congregation on a monthly basis.
- FUNdraising – The main objective of FUNdraising is to enable us to do God’s work, serve the needs of others and to continue the good work started in our church through many different ministries. Any new FUNdraising ideas would be most welcome.
- Property Maintenance – In addition to our grounds men, we have volunteers who assist with the general maintenance and upkeep of our buildings.
EDUCATION AND TRANSFORMATION
- Makabongwe Methodist Preschool – Is a preschool supported by MRMC in Warwick Triangle. Around 100 children per year are educated by trained teachers.
- Children’s Church meet from 9:00 on Sundays during school terms. Children from grade 1 – 7 are welcome to attend. We also have Children’s Church at the 11.30 service.
- Wesley Guild – Manning Road has a very strong and active Wesley Guild.