Manning Road Society was founded in 1866 with the building of a small Chapel on the Berea Ridge near the junction of Moore Road and South Ridge Road in what was then known as Pietermaritzburg Road. The work of our Society grew and in 1875 the Chapel was enlarged to house a growing congregation.
As space limitations prohibited further expansion and as the main area of residential expansion was lower down the Berea, the old Chapel was sold after being in use for 18 years and a new School-Church was built on the present site in Manning Road in 1893. After the negotiations for the new site were finalised, the Berea Ridge Chapel was sold and the foundation stone of the new site was laid on 19th August 1893.
The manse, which still stands, was erected in 1912 and occupied in 1913 by the first Resident Minister, Rev J H Roberts.
Over the years, numerous additions and modernisations have occurred to the property whilst care has been taken to retain the historic look of the building.
We, as Manning Road Society are part of the South Durban Circuit (703) which is in turn belongs to the Natal Coastal district.
We are a integral part of the greater Methodist Church of Southern Africa. Click on the icon below for more information on the MCSA.